How long does an electric bike battery last?
The average distance for an electric bike ranges from 15 to 50 miles. There are many factors that will determine how far your bike will go.
• Type of battery your electric bike has.
• The weight of the rider.
• How smooth or rough the terrain is, and if it’s flat or has a lot of hills.
• How much pedaling you do vs how much assistance you get from the bike.
• Wind conditions
• Temperatures- a warm sunny day will usually get you about 15% more range from a battery than a cold winter day. Cold tends to drain the battery faster.
• Tire pressure- if your tires are soft they will be less efficient and require more pedal power.
• The age of the battery.
How fast will an electric bike go?
The average speed for an electric bike is 15- 20 mph. There are faster electric bikes but they are going to be very expensive.
Do you need a license to drive an electric bike?
Some states do require a license for an electric bike so you should check. Right now, there are only a few such as Alaska, Alabama and Idaho but you should check with your local city and state to verify.
The following link from Wikipedia has detailed information on this subject:
Electric Bicycle Batteries: Lithium vs. Lead Acid Batteries
There are two options when it comes to electric bicycle batteries:
• Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePO4 or Life) or Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (LiNiMnCoO2 or NMC). Lithium batteries are better for long distance riding and for frequent riding. They can take full charges daily and last for years.
• SLA batteries are better for bikes that are used on shorter trips. The lifespan on the battery will last longer is the battery is kept fully charged as much as possible and not letting it go below a half charge.
How long do the batteries take to charge?
A battery usually takes 2-6 hours to charge from a standard wall outlet.
It is best to charge your battery outside on the patio or in the garage and make sure you are home while its charging. Lithium batteries have been known to catch on fire so it’s safer to never charge inside of your home. Make sure to buy name brand batteries from a trusted source. There are also fire safe bags you can buy to place the batteries in while charging.
Can I purchase extra battery for my electric bicycle?
Yes, most manufacturers will sell additional batteries but if you are not going to exceed the mileage for the day, you really don’t need to spend money for an additional battery. Most batteries will last on average for 500 charges.
Will my motor charge while riding my e-bike?
No, the motor does not charge when you are pedaling. Pedaling just helps save on the battery life.
Is an electric bike safe to ride in the rain?
Yes, electric bike batteries are well sealed. You don’t want to ride them thru large bodies of water obviously, but riding in a rain storm will not harm the battery. As with any bike, protecting them from the elements helps prevent rust, corrosion and excessive wear.
Will it take me up hills?
Yes, one of the best features of an electric bike is to be able to use the motor to get up steep hills and inclines.
What is Voltage and which Voltage is best?
Think of voltage as the strength of the electric power. The higher the voltage the better. High voltage will pass more quickly through wires and motors.
What are AMPS?
An amp is the quantity or volume of electric power. The flow of amps is called the current. The current is fixed.
What are Watts?
You find the watt by multiplying the voltage and current. This will define the power output.
How many watts do I need for my electric motorized bike?
This depends on whether you want a little assistance or if you prefer that the motor does most of the work. You can go as low as 200 watts or up to 600 watts.
What is pedal assist?
Pedal assist will sense when you are pedaling and provide you with assistance.
What is the difference between a throttle and pedal assist?
A throttle will provide full power on demand. It will give you a burst of power quickly to climb a hill or cross through an intersection. Pedal assist, you are still providing most of the power.